Friday, December 11, 2009

Nutcracker

Not to rain on anyone's Christmas parade, but you know what I've never really been a fan of? The Nutcracker.

The ballet and the score. I just don't get all the hoopla about it. I don't think the music is anything moving, and the only piece I even recognize is the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies. But that's probably the only one a lot of people know. And what exactly is a sugar plum anyway?

The story line never captured me either. The whole thing seems like a bad dream set to interpretive dance. I tried watching the ballet on tv as a kid once and when I got bored a few minutes later, I left the room. When I wandered back in there was a huge rat dancing/fighting with a huge nutcracker. I don't know, I guess I couldn't suspend my imagination enough to find this entertaining.

I'm sure if I ever see it live it would make a differnce. But I'm in no hurry to do that.

No comments: