Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Popular

I would like to mention how much people like me (because that's not conceited or anything). But I think this one moment in time does a pretty good job at showing that.

I was co-oping winter and I had come back to Cincinnati for my chapter's initiation. Or formal. Whatever, something. It was the one year I was an officer, and my primary job was rule keeper and keeper of the pledges. I was close with a lot of people that year and I was looking forward to seeing everyone.

I was pretty tired when I walked in the door of my college house though. I was exhausted by a full day of work, a 5 hour drive in winter weather conditions and a time-zone change. I entered the main room where everyone was
drinking hanging out, people naturally turned to see who had walked in the door. 'Cause that what's you do. And then someone excitedly cries out: Sarah's here! And lots of people rush to get up and hug me.

And I'm happy to see everyone, but I'm tired and the truth is I don't want to go down the line that was literally forming to hug me hello. (I don't think my bf at the time pulled bf rights to hug me first). Yep, a line. To hug me hello. How awesome would that make you feel? Uh huh. So instead I throw open my arms and yell at the top of my lungs, "everyone hug me!" And I'm quickly enclosed in the center of one giant brother group hug.

And when the hug broke up, someone handed me a drink. Great night. Though that could have been the night that a drunk wrestling match went horribly horribly wrong and it resulted in me taking out my belly button ring permanently. Or maybe that was the formal. Whatever, something.

But hey, you can't deny that a line of people to hug you hello isn't popularity.

No comments: