Saturday, December 12, 2009

I Don't Read Your Christmas Newsletter

There are a few reasons I don't read your Christmas letter:
  • I don't care that much.
  • If we're good enough friends to be sending Christmas cards (or pretending we're grown ups, whatever), I would know this stuff already and this is just a repeat.
  • Didn't you post everything on facebook when it happened anyway? See above.
  • There are certain things that do and do not belong in newsletter. Do: big events, a birth, death, marriage or huge break up, graduating, ect. Don't: everyone who visited you when, every weekend trip you took, what you did on all those visits and how many new favorite restaurants within walking distance you found the past year.
  • And we can't be that great of friends because I don't know the fluff you went on and on about and plus I never bothered to read about it on facebook in the first place. Why?
  • Which brings us back to the first reason: I don't care that much.
And I especially don't want to read it when it's a size 10 font single spaced month by month breakdown full of the dont's from the previous year. Seriously, no one wants to read that.

I know how this sounds coming from someone who twitters. I'm well aware the narcissistic image that Twitter implies. It's chock full of the fluff of my life that I don't want to read about in other people's Christmas letters.

To be fair, I will
judge read your letter once and try to evoke that fireside chat feeling. But you have multiple paragraphs of mwa mwa mwa with no kids to brag talk about, you don't have a "news letter" anymore. It's just you pretending to be a journalist.

Besides, can't we just facebook each other a "Merry Christmas!" and call it a holiday season?

No comments: