Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Look the part

So I'm cutting through the business college and I'm looking at the people around me. I saw someone who didn't look like a typical businesses major, but then I started wondering, well, what does any major look like really? I mean, there are stereotypes for every major. And honestly, stereotypes are stereotypes because at some point they were true (or still are). So if you don't want to be one, seriously, stop acting like it (another rant another day).

But think about it, fashion majors dress like fashion majors. Theater people wear scarves and flair with their hands a lot. Business students have that all-American fraternity/sorority look to them. Engineers tend to have that slightly (or totally) dweeb wash. You get the point.

Side related story: A friend's husband asked if I thought about being a woman's studies major (I have no idea why) and my friend and I said simultaneously: "she's/I'm too pretty to be a woman's studies major. And I'm strait." (oh shush, you tell me one non-scary looking strait woman's studies major. uh-huh, yeah.)

And I don't think it's that you get a checklist of what to wear/how to act/who to be when you pick a major or career. But there's a general mold for things and similar types drift toward it.
But then what's a chemistry major look like? Because that's what I am. Well, let's see...
  • Asian: halfway, so sorta check
  • Dorky: check
  • Thick glasses: check
  • Lack of cute over-all appearance in school: I don't wear makeup and I'm hardly what you would call fashionable. So... check
Hmm, maybe I do look the part...

No comments: