Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Words of Wisdom

I've been watching Teen Mom 2. Shut up. It's fascinating and doesn't glamorize anything. But I though it would share/paraphrase some words of wisdom I learned while watching the show.

baby daddy: I've cheated on you, like, 5 times.
teen mom: What? Why?
baby daddy: Well, if I had been happy with you I wouldn't have cheated.

Oh, ok, I get it now. Justifying it makes it ok.  Calling her a selfish, stupid fcking bitch, and the baby you had with her a mistake, wasn't you being a sorry excuse for a human, it was a nice thing to say. Teen mom took it the wrong way, and that made you unhappy.  So it's ok for you get physical gratification somewhere else.

teen mom: Why is he being this way? I thought he wanted to be with us.
teen mom teen friend who also has a baby: Just because he has a baby with you doesn't mean he wants to be with you forever.

Sigh. It THIS what we're teaching teenagers nowadays? That's it's ok to leave and being an ass is justifiable?

I don't necessarily agree with the black and white thought that a pregnancy and/or children is the sole reason you are with someone. Some couples just don't work and constantly fighting and creating a hostile and negative environment isn't good for anyone. Some people are just awful people in general too (see above baby daddy example if you need further clarification). But I do believe that people, jackass or not, should be civil to one another, especially if there are children in the picture.

And I can say, my kids won't be like that, or I'll teach my kids better. I can say that now. I can say that I won't accept that kind of behavior. But I can't tell you what kind of people my teenagers will come to be in the next 20 years. I can say I'll teach them manners and responsibility and all that great stuff you want to do as a parent. But nothing guarantees that it will stick. Most you can do is hope that it does and roll with it.

No comments: