Saturday, April 16, 2011

Half Wrap Up

So, I just found out my results.......
2:05:00 on the dot!  That's a 3 second improvement and I have a new best time!
So I didn't finish under 2 hours, but I'm super ok with that.  My overall pace was a 9:35 mile, which is about right and what I figured  since I knew I ran a 10 minute mile the first 3, a 9 minute mile the next 3, and then a 10 minute here, a 9 minute there.

We were literally trying to outrun the severe weather that was sweeping towards the east.  The race day weather contingency plan was that the race would go on rain or shine, but if there was thunder and lightning the start would be delayed.  If the delay lasted long enough so that the time span on the road closures ran out, the race would be shortened to a 10k.  Fortunately, mother nature wasn't slated to throw a tantrum until 10 am, so most people would be finished or close to it by then.  It's actually just starting to really storm this minute, so looks like all of us runners caught a break on that one. 

Not that the weather was beautiful.. By no means did we have optimal running conditions.  There were a few rain showers and some wind, which blew (oh! pun! hehe!), but it wasn't pouring the entire time so I didn't feel soaked, and I wasn't running head first into the wind all the time either.
 
action shot dr soc took of me a few seconds before I crossed the finish line

This might be the worst shape my body has been in after a race though.  I'm physically tired which is to be expected.  But this is the first time I've gotten blisters on my feet. My 10 mile training run I got two small ones on both arches and they hadn't healed fully.  So I re-irritated the area and now I have a big 'ol blood blister, but just on one, so phew.  It's not pretty, but walking isn't an issue, so it should heal in time.  My toes hurt a little but I expected that since that's status quo for me.  However, my sports bra, which I've never had any problems with, decided it would choose today to chafe.  So that's not the most pleasant feeling.  My final post long run woe is my sentiments towards the training gels: Oh running gels, you are my running's friend but my intestine's foe. (I went with a carb boom this time, so it's mainly discomfort and not the feeling of my intestines being shredded)

But, hey, I just ran and finished my 5th half marathon.  Fifth!  I have a new best time!  I'm still going to do a marathon next spring, and I'm ready for that.  Go me! 

No comments: