Sunday, April 3, 2011

Just a little more Crow

I love jewelry.  Wait, let me rephrase that: I LOVE jewelry.  Rings, bracelets, necklace, earrings, broach, and yes a tiara, I love it all.  Diamonds, gemstones, semi-precious stones, platinum, 18 carat gold, sterling silver, jade, you name it, my interest is at the very least piqued.  So, you can imagine the sheer amount of will power I had to use to not squeal like a 4th grader and weep with joy at the 4 jewelry stores dr soc and I went to yesterday while we ring shopped.

Did you know we have a Tiffany's in Charlotte?  Do you know who's the best boyfriend ever and indulged me?  Boy oh boy, do they do sparkle well there.  There's a reason they have mirrors everywhere in that store.  Not only to make everything glitter more, but so you can see how your own face lights up when you look at a diamond so near flawless that it disappears underneath all the rainbows it reflects out.  However, that ring was $18,000.  We found a just as sparkly but slightly smaller ring much more reasonable priced at $13,000 though.  But even at that reasonable price, I could never justify buying a ring that cost more than a car. 

We went to two other local jewelers and tried on stuff there as well.  I think I behaved myself well enough or else dr soc wouldn't have kept taking me to more stores.  Of course I'm gravitating towards the rings with the larger center stones.  Of course I am.  But I'm also really into the halo setting too, which don't need as big a center stone to make the ring.  The halo setting allows for a variety of band styles, which can completely change the style of the ring.  

So I'm trying on ring after ring and we're getting a better idea of what I say I like and what I actually like and Mike is starting to understand what he likes too.  And I try on this rather large halo setting with a carat center stone and a split shank band.  Beautiful in the case, but just not the right shape and size for my own hand.  It was too big.  I know.

So I turn to away from the sparkler on my finger and towards my darling boyfriend.  And I say to him: "I'm going to say something I never thought I'd say.  But this ring is too big!"

No comments: