Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Kids say the best things 2

When Buddy followed dr soc home on Saturday, a few of the kids that live on our street saw the two of them and wanted to help out.  The kids thought they knew who Buddy belonged to, but they were mistaken.  So the kids tagged along and hung around our front porch for a little bit, but before they did that they were responsible and let their parents know everything was "ok, we're with an adult!"

Anyway, while dr soc is on the phone with animal control, I stood on our front porch holding Buddy's leash and chatted with the kids getting to know them a little bit.  Dr soc and I understand the unspoken rule how it's acceptable for me, the woman, to ask little kids their names and where they live, but it's questionable and creepy if he does it.  And there's also an unspoken rule that kids can still get away with asking you fairly personal questions. 

kid 1*: do you go to college?
me: No, I just graduated a few months ago.  I moved here to be with dr soc.
kid 2: What does he do?
me: He's a teacher.
kid 3: Is he your husband?
me: No, not yet.  Right now he's just my boyfriend.
kid 3: Oh.  Well, is he going to ask you to marry him?!
me (smiling): Yeah, he will.
kids 3 & 5 (eagerly): When?
me (still smiling my goofy marriage smile): I don't really know, but I think it will be soon enough.** 
kids 3, 4 & 5 (squealing like only 3 8-year olds girls can): Awww!

* I learned and remembered the kids' names. However, I will not blast any information to the interwebs.
**FYI darling, Christmas time is NOT soon. 

No comments: