Monday, April 4, 2011

Wonderful Problem

With my unofficial date now unofficilay selected, I became super-bride-to-be proactive and am looking at the logistics of my wedding. I'm looking to see what's available, what's in my price range and what are viable possibilities. But there's a big difference in a pretty space that can only accommodate 80 people vs one that can hold 2000. Some places just won't work for us in general, like being too expensive or having too many rules. Some places are ugly. Some are too small, some are unnecessarily too big, and others are pretty and flexible with space but used to be a funeral home and to me that's bad jujube. So to have a better idea of what I actually need and should price, I started making the guest list.

I thought I had a ball park figure. I started with the obligation invites, and then moved on to the friends, easily doubling my half. Add to that Mike's half and we have a bigger number than I had originally thought. It's not like we went from single A to the majors, but still, up. And every now and again one of us gets the I need to add so-and so to my half, and we keep adding.

So our guest list is getting bigger and bigger and I start to think, oh my god how much is this going to cost? Should I put a cap on the guest list? (the answer is yes if the number gets too out of control. But it's a high cap)  I do realize that not everyone will be able to come, but it's not good idea to select a venue that will accomadate only 80% of the guest list.  It's way easier to not fill a few seats than to it is to counjure some out of thin air.  So then you start to think, well, who will actually come and can the obligation invite just be a courtesy?  But that's not how I want to celebrate. I want the people that I love and care about there to share in my happiness, and they shouldn't be excluded from that. Friends I've accumulated over time shouldn't be on the B-list, waiting for a spot hoping for great aunt Mabel to RSVP no. (FYI, for those of you that are invited, if you don't send back the RSVP card I will hurt you.)

While I was number crunching and budgeting and wondering where to cut costs, I took a step back and realized: I have so many friends. What a wonderful "problem" to have!

No comments: