Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Pattern Sizes

When I first started bartending, one of the female servers thought I was "the most spoiled person in the world," and if she saw an opportunity to pop my "sheltered bubble," she took it.  Eventually I left that job and everyone else at that place behind and it doesn't really matter anymore.  But at the time she was a thorn in my side and if I got to put her in place so to speak I enjoyed it.

Like when I went wedding dress shopping.  Since bitchy co-worker (bcw) had gotten married a year ago, she was telling me all the "ins" of dress shopping.  And she warns me that I'll have to buy a bigger size and I shouldn't get upset about that.  I knew this already.  For several reasons:
  1. I have been planning my wedding since I was 6.
  2. Every bridal magazine you ever read tells you this. 
  3. My sister and a few friends who have bought their wedding dresses told me the same thing, and I may have even been the person to tell them that in the first place.  And,
  4. I spent 6 years in design school and have friends in fashion who have told me about pattern sizes. 
 Anyway, I get the dress, and it's the bcw restaurant gossip queen's front page news.  Not only does she want to know what the dress looks like so she can describe it to others, she also wants to know how shell shocked I was to be a bigger size.  The conversation goes something like this:

bcw: So what's it look like?
me: Beautiful.
bcw: no, really, what's it look like?
me: I'm not telling you anything and I want it to be a surprise.
bcw: Who would I tell?
me: Um everyone. I'm not giving anyone, any details.
bcw: --Sulky-- Fine, a surprise.  Did you at least have to order a bigger size like I told you?
me: A little, yeah, but I expected that.
bcw:  How much bigger?
me: Just a little.
bcw: What size? 
me--exasperated sigh--: Fine.  I ordered a four.
bcw: A four?
me: Yep.
bcw: A four. Wow, you....you skinny thing.
me: Yeah, and the only reason we really went up to that size is because my bust is too big to fit in the 2. 
 
Ok, I know being catty doesn't put me in in the most shining light.  And it was several years ago and I should just let it go.  But when someone who thinks that poorly of you tries to jab at you just because, tell me you wouldn't act similarly if you could.

No comments: