Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Oink! I Was a Flying Piggie!

I don't like to play sports, especially ones that involve balls and teams. Do not ask me to play on the company softball team, it will not happen. I don't consider myself an athlete, and I think the tomboys are happy I never tried to infiltrate their side. And I certainly don't consider myself a runner. I don't wake up at 5 am to run 3 miles before I go to work. I wasn't one of those people that ran around campus (though I'm never opposed to eye candy jogging past me), I don't buy new running shoes every 500 miles, I don't own "gym clothes" and I certainly don't watch what I eat. But a year ago as I cheered for my sister while she ran her 2nd marathon, I felt a twinge of "hmm, I kinda want to do that too." Then I quickly thought, wait, no, I don't like to run. After all, I don't like to walk more then 2 blocks to the bar (in heels), and that's for alcohol.

But that twinge was persistent. Because two months later, my sister was debating what race she would run in the spring. And before I knew it, out of my mouth popped: "well, if you do the half pig here in Cincinnati, I'll do it too." She didn't even hesitate and took me up on my offer. My first reaction: CRAP! But I wasn't going to back down. So I quickly signed up, paid the entrance fee, and bought real running shoes (of course they had pink in them), before I had a chance to chicken out. I was going to run 13.1 miles. Seriously.


And I did it! My goals were to finish and not die, both of which I achieved. I may have trained a bit half-assed (well, 25% assed, I did get a lot of millage in, I just didn't stick to my scheduled training plan as close as I should have), but I still did it! I didn't have to quit mid-race and go home with my tail between my legs. (I'm done with the animal euphemisms now)

I still don't care to run that much. I was bored as sin around mile 8, and I thought to myself, man, I don't know if I ever want to do this again. I'm a lier. Because I'm doing a half marathon mid-March. And I'm even somewhat considering doing another one in late April. Wtf, I don't run and now I want to do 2 half marathons w/in a month of each other? What has gotten into me? I'll tell you what: a great set of pins, that's what.

1 comment:

Sourire11 said...

Yes but now you get to call yourself a marathon runner and that's just insanely cool.