Sunday, June 5, 2011

Platonic

Mike and I have both now asked the people we want to have in our wedding party, and we're all set there.  We each have 4, so 8 total, but we have a split of 5 women to 3 men.  My groom has asked one of his female friends to stand on his side, and while we're not sure of the terminology, (groomslady, groomsmaid, distinguished flower girl?) we're delighted she accepted. At first Mike was a bit unsure about asking her, not about Kathy herself, but in a is this too untraditional sort of way.  But I feel as though if you are close enough friends to want them to stand up for you at your wedding, it doesn't matter what gender they are.  So he asked and everyone's happy.

The other day those two were having a facebook wall conversation full of inside jokes.  I remarked that if I didn't trust them both, him having such a close female friend could make a lesser woman jealous.  (Female friends, I'm not jealous.  Ex-girlfriends and sexy sounding computer anti-virus updates computer (seriously, the update lady sounds like she's hitting on him), that's another story)

I'm not jealous of thier friendship for several reasons.  I like her and consider her a friend of myself.  But mainly it's because I believe that a strictly platonic friendship between 2 different genders is possible, since I have several myself.  I have male friends that have only been friends, who it never occurred to either of us to cross the line.  Mike's the same way, which thank god.  Because my ex not only believed that a male/female friendship for me was impossible, he was also convinced I had hooked up with every single one of my guy friends.  He even went as far as to accuse me of sleeping with one of male friends while we were at this male friends wedding.  He accused me of sleeping with the groom.  Yeah.

Have I mentioned how glad I am to not have married him?  So, SO glad.  But yeah, platonic friendships are possible, and they make life better. 

No comments: