Wednesday, June 15, 2011

DIY

I'm on the knot (of course I am) and there's this whole section of DIY wedding ideas.  Little personal touches that make your wedding distinctly "you."  Such as stamping your dog's paw print for the save the date cards.  Or hand painting your monogram on the coffee mug favors you threw at pottery class.  You can bake your own foodstuff favors, and put them in the baskets you wove for the centerpieces.  Etc, Etc, Etc.  Little things.

Um, no, holy crap.  I really don't want to have to make anything when it comes to my wedding.
For a few reasons:
  • I don't want to scour the town/interwebs in search of 40-something identical vases for the centerpieces at the best price.
  • I don't want to lug said 40-something vases from Charlotte to Lexington to the reception site to our hotel and then back to Charlotte. 
  • What am I going to do with those 40-something vases after the wedding? 
  • What the hell am I doing with 40 fcking vases in the first place?
  • My craft isn't awesome in general.  Six years of design school and if I never come within a mile of a bottle of sobo glue for the rest of my life that suits me fine. 
  • And oh yeah, I am NOT a DIY kind of bride.
Now I'm not going to go without personal touches here and there.  I'll hand write my thank you notes, change some wording if I need to, but I'm not above printing self adhesive address labels for brevity's sake and to save me a writing cramp.  (I'll be the one doing most of the hand writing anyway, since dr soc has terrible penmanship.  (Which, he does not deny.  He never had great handwriting and it got even worse after his 11 years of higher education (though I think my friend Tiffany has the worst handwriting I've ever seen, my beloved's gives it a good run for her money)))

But.  But...sometimes DIY can be a less expensive way to go.  You spend $50 total on materials instead of paying $50 for each for 5 bridesmaid bouquets.  And I have the time right now to actually do some things, like making paper flowers for decor and bouquets.  I just don't really know if buying all the supplies and trying to be crafty would be significantly less expensive option, rather than just going to a florist to take care of it and a bigger connivance.  So I'm looking into it and weighing some options.  Maybe I do have a little DIY kind of bride in me after all.

No comments: