Monday, July 26, 2010

Last Rule of Buddha

For about 10 seconds my roommate Ali thought she needed a religion, but really didn't know where to start. And another friend said they pictured her as a Buddhist. Why? I don't know, this was a drunk conversation I was not privy too and it seemed like a logical connection.

Beyond knowing that it exists in general (and that Richard Gere is one), Buddhism is an enigma to us all. So with some google searching, someone learns there are 10 (or maybe 12?) basic principles of buddism of things you do/do not do.

Well, Ali was known as the heathen of our group, and she had broken all the rules at some point in her life. Buddhism was out. However, she didn't steal, (one of Buddha's no-no's) so it was her saving grace.

This was at the same time all those obnoxious magnetic ribbons were on cars. (While the ribbon magnets were better then bumper stickers on principle, the inundation of them was still obnoxious). There were
Yellow for the soldiers







Pink for breast cancer,







and white with paw prints for spay/neuter pets... (by that point let's admit they were just drawing at straws)






amongst many others, everywhere. Well the pink one's center cut-out was a heart (at the time) with the words "Think pink!" And clearly, that makes people think of moi. So one day Ali swiped one off someone's car and put it on mine.

I loved it! And I told her so and "I'm so glad you stole that for me!"
She laughed but then her face completely crumpled! She wailed out " I just broke the last rule of Buddha!"

No comments: