Thursday, March 11, 2010

Runners Legs

Remember how I said I was going to try to not focus on my weight and instead work on my overall fitness? I did that. I stopped getting on the scale every day (now it's once a week) I run all my miles and I incorporated a set of plyometrics in my training to make me a better runner.

I really like the plyos. I don't know why, I just find them fun. And I'm super proud of myself that I can jump the top (30") box now (except that one day. I missed. It hurt. I cried in public. Then jumped it again just to prove to myself (everyone) missing was a fluke). What they do is they work your fast twitch muscles which are good for short powerful motions; ie taking off from starting blocks. But as fast twitch muscles develop, they build. My slow twitch muscles (which are for endurance) are strengthening as well, but they don't bulk like fast twitches do.

While I don't step on the scale every day, I'm not blind and I can still see myself in the mirror. So during a particularly scrutinizing self overlook, when I realized my legs are NOT slim lean runners legs, I did what any woman with body issues does. I ran to my mom. And she confirmed my fears, I have THICK (albeit powerful looking) legs.

Yeah. By doing the sets of plyometrics this season, I'm given myself thick chunky legs. I could look like scary Madonna soon (the pop icon, not the saint), and clearly, that won't do. So now I'm torn because I really like the jumping, but I don't like how they make me look. They're fun, a good workout and impressive that I can do them (30" is 'effing impressive!). But I have man legs!

So, shit. Now what?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

PLYOMETRICS!

Spazzella said...

There, I fixed it for you Amy. Doesn't matter though, spell check doesn't recognize either spelling!