Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Hockey Girl

When I worked retail in cinci I had a boss who went to UK. Of course, as soon as another Kentuckian discovers you chose to not go to the flagship school having lived there all your life you get asked "why didn't you go to UK?" a lot. But this boss and I had a good repertoire and occasionally exchanged Kentucky jokes.

Like most places on earth, there are things that only make sense in the area and don't transcend unless you're with another local. You pretty much have to be from Kentucky to understand the entity that is UK and all the other stuff that goes with it. Like the hockey poster. Trust me, everyone at UK knows what the hockey poster is. Hell, it's how we know we have a team, let alone a sport other than men's basketball (we have women's sports too, did you know that?).

But back to the retail job. One day I tried to toss a hanger in the proper bin and completely missed. It bounced off the outside of the bin, that's how bad I missed.

My boss snarks out: "now I see why you didn't go to UK!"

I laugh good naturally as I pick up the hanger and say: "No, but I could have been on the hockey calender!"

Boss: "nice!"


The one that started it all. Arguably the most famous too.

No comments: