Sunday, March 7, 2010

Do-Over

A friend and I were chatting and he was talking about what he would say to himself if he ever met the younger version of himself. So of course I started thinking about it too. If given the chance to redo it, what would you do differently?

As I thought about it, I realized I honestly don't know what I would tell little me (once I got over the initial mind-fck of seeing my childhood self that is). Yeah, there are little things, like I wouldn't have worn that outfit, or stuff that I wish I had said, or don't ever cut your hair into a boy cut. But as much as I have wished somethings had happened differently, as far as the big things go, the outcomes have been good in some way.

What would I have done differently? First, I wouldn't have picked UC, maybe not even design. I would have gone to UK and done I don't know what. But I went to UC for the interior design program and I made some of my bestest friends ever through it. So clearly, never making those friendships isn't a good thing at all.

Second, I don't think I would have dated my ex. Or at least I would have broken up with him when I thought about it early in the relationship. But then, if we hadn't gotten engaged, we wouldn't have adopted Bailey. And we all know how much I love that dog. And honestly, if we hadn't adopted her, she might not have made it. Who knows if another family would have saved her?

So the two biggest things I would do over have given me some great outcomes. So if by some magic, if given the chance, I wouldn't change it.

Well, there is one piece of advice I'd give little me. I would tell me: when the most beautiful guy you've ever seen in Nashville gives you his number, CALL HIM. If there was one time to ignore your scruples and conveniently forget you had a boyfriend at the time, that was it.

1 comment:

Bry said...

My advice to my younger self: no matter what you do, you can't make someone love you if they don't.

That would have saved me five years of my life (or at least 3).