Sunday, November 1, 2009

When Help Isn't Help

I got on the elevator at work with a few people and one of the guys in there ask me:
"How'd you do on that test?"
me: "I failed." (in a sickeningly sweet voice)
Dude: Now, you sound a little too happy about that! What do you mea
Me interrupting: "OK, the reason I sound that chipper is becasue if I'm not chipper I will start to cry and break down and I don't want to do that this instant. And I really really really don't want to talk about it so please just STOP. Just stop!"

Having successfully made the elevator uncomfortable, the doors open and I get off first. I set my quivering lip and manage a watery smile in 20 feet. In 10 minutes when I'm back in my department, my hands have steadied and I continue on as if I'm fine.

This is the same guy that whenever see's me studying, interrupts to complement me on studying. That doesn't help. At all. When I'm truthful and say I'm not doing well hence why I'm studying, I get to hear his life story. And I don't care that you dropped out of school 3 times and then went on to get a thousand different degrees in your 40's. I know in his own way he is trying to make me feel better. But I don't want to hear your success story. Because I want my own success story, and not having one just makes me want to cry.

No comments: