Monday, November 2, 2009

Pumpkin

I lost most of September and October last year (to crying jags and bitterness). But towards the end of October I had some moments of lucidity, and I wanted to carve a pumpkin. But the grocery store was out of them by the time I figured that out.

So this year, when I saw Kroger had pumpkins the beginning of the month, I dove head first into the bin and pulled out a really pretty round one to carve. And after quite some time I figured out what I wanted to carve into it:
A Unicorn!
(It's a good thing I'm a girl and can get away with carving mythical creatures in a pumpkin and no one question my gender. My grasp on reality, maybe, but that's another story.
)

But since I had waited so long to carve it, it was starting to some soft spots. Eventually, the whole thing got too soft to stand up and collapsed into itself.
So my unicorn saw an untimely death (jump over that last rainbow you lovely creature), but it was just for fun and I had roasted the seeds already. But my momma bought me another one right before Halloween!

So I debated, carve or cook this one? I decided to cook this time around, becasue I really want to make pumpkin soup here soon. I spent Halloween morning stabbing/chopping an 8 lb pumpkin with a butcher knife, then roasting, peeling and pureeing the thing. So now I have over 100 ozs of fresh pumpkin puree, 80 of which I have already frozen for later use.

I've only used 3 cups of the stuff so far. I made muffins and this was my dinner last night:
The result: yummy, but I think I'll cut back on the sage next time
(here's the
recipe in case you want to know. HEART Food Network).

But that still leaves me with a ton of puree. Next up is cookies, bread and soup. No, I won't make pie. For several reasons: pie in general is very hard to make. The only way I "make" pie is to pop a frozen one in the oven. And also, I don't like pumpkin pie to begin with.

So I put a status update on facebook about my vat of puree, (and to boast about my cooking skills) and what should I make with it. I've gotten a few suggestions, but some people are offering to take some off my hands. So I may start a back alley business of dealing some orange pulp here soon.

No comments: