Monday, November 30, 2009

Friendship

I know it's supposed to be a joke when people say: "you have friends?" But it's not a good one. It's actually kinda hurtful. Because then you start to wonder, why do you think I have no friends? Do I seem that unlikeable? That no one wants to hang out with me socially? But I'm charming and nice and thoughtful and funny ('eff modesty though). Why wouldn't I have friends? Because I hear that "joke" a lot more often then you'd imagine. Seriously.

Once over the summer I was at a coffee shop with some friends (See! See! I do have them! And that's plural too!) and a classmate of one of us stopped over to say hi. After introductions were made, he cracked the "you have (other) friends?" line to her. And before I could help it, I wailed (to a person I had just met) and very very loud and high pitched: "why do people think we have no friends?"

Because it turns out, I have great friends. Amazing friends. Friends that I consider family and who you keep forever. You're lucky to develop that type of friendship with anyone and I have several of them. (so there! nanny nanny boo boo!) And in cases of friendship, quality over quantity wins every time.

So I don't have 3 different party invites every weekend to rub elbows with people I don't care about. But I will rearrange my work schedule to meet my friend's new baby or see them graduate med school. I can call people at 1 am bawling because my heart is breaking. I will drive 5 hours for fantasy football and see people I only see a few times a year. And the only thing we do that weekend is couch and cook.

So I don't have a 1000 friends. But it's not like I don't have any friends either. So bad jokes aside, I'm happy and thankful for what I have. Because it's worth a hell of a lot more.

1 comment:

schizm42 said...

I'm glad you were able to join us in g-town - that was awesome!