Thursday, February 12, 2009

Valentines Day

I used to have a pattern for valentines day: single on year, coupled the next. Since I had the last 3 valentine's with someone, do I have to spend the next 3 alone? I hope not.
I didn't have the most spectacular valentines with the ex, so being single might be a nice change of pace.
Because I'm in a sharing mood, here's how the last 3 went. Our first valentines, he sent a stuffed bear, 3 roses, a box of chocolates and a balloon all in one to my office. It was the most cliche valentine ever. I loved it for that reason, that it was the most cliche valentine. And then I realized that he actually thought this was the best thing ever. Umm, ok... He did better the next year with 2 dozen roses at my door, plus he drove 90 minutes to make me stop crying since my car had broken down that day (but it wasn't until I told him I wouldn't make it to his show the next day he even thought about driving). And last year I had to ask if he was having band practice that night. The other guys' girlfriends wanted to spend time with their boyfriends, so he graciously decided to allot me some time. I cooked his favorite meal, got him a kitschy box of chocolates (that I made him share) wrote something horribly eloquent in a card. He picked up a weird pink plant and a balloon from Kroger on his way home from work. Wow what an effort.

So not the greatest valentines' really.
Maybe I'm a bit harsh on his lack of classic romance. But dudes, that stuff really works on me, send me flowers and I melt like velveta in the microwave. My best valentines day was a single one actually. Mommy had sent a care package, one friend sent me a Scooby Doo valentine, and another friend sent a dozen red roses. He got in major trouble for that, seeing as he had a girlfriend who was not me at the time. She got flowers too, but umm, mine cost more (I know because he told me. Right, me being involved in that drama probably didn't help). But it was the first time anyone had ever sent me flowers, and it made my day. Still makes me smile to this day.

So this year, I plan on spoiling myself ridiculously and bonus, I don't have to share my candy!

1 comment:

Sourire11 said...

Good stories about each of your years - totally sums up what was going on there. The cliche valentines is great if you're aware of the cliche... and a pink plan from Kroger? Boo.

Although I have no room to talk - Valentines Day isn't even on Matt's radar at all. The best valentines I've ever had? The one year he did something - he brought home chocolate covered strawberries because he heard an ad for them on the radio and thought I would like them. It was actually pretty sweet. This year? We're spending the day shopping for a 'fridge that we can't really afford. Silly reality....