Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Crow

When the cover us US Weekly or OK! was "inside Jennifer Love Hewitt's heartache" (or something like that), I didn't snatch it up and pour over every detail like I typically do with trashy gossip rags. My first reaction was, poor thing, I know how bad she feels. I used to not feel sorry for stars and blink and you miss them break ups. With looks, fame, oodles of money, it seems fair (and typical) that they falter in the love department right?

Well, I'm eating a little crow here, and I'll admit that. When I was in my breakup process, I walked home from work tears streaming down my face. I cried publicly in restaurants. I had to excuse myself at work a few time to collect myself. When I stopped wearing the ring, there wasn't an US weekly cover shot of my bare finger. And the details of the date, my dress, the church and everything else, were mine and not tabloid fodder. I got to make the announcement and tell people when I was(n't) ready. I didn't have to tell my publicist or ask everyone to please respect my privacy. Because my friends knew when I wanted to talk, I would. And my pain, while very public, could still be very private when I needed it to be.

So I don't feel smug about her break up. Because it hurts, no matter who you are. Stars just have to do it in a fishbowl.

No comments: