Saturday, February 4, 2012

Romeo and Juliet

I was looking for ideas for some ceremony music.  We're not going to do any of that stupid bridal party shaking it down the aisle that seems to be so popular on you tube.  For so, so many reasons, some of them being that this is my wedding and not a frat party, I'm so over the auto-tuning thing, and nowhere does someone with a name like T-pain belong at a wedding in general.

So I think it's no surprise that we're opting to go the traditional route and looking at classic pieces. The only song that I don't care to be played is the Wedding March by Wagner.  Mainly because when I hear it, I start to sing "here comes the bride, all fat and wide!" in my head, which, no.  And also, when I hear it played on a on a horn, my mind jumps to the fanfare played at the start of a horse race and want to excitedly scream "and they're off!" while jumping up and down, which, also, no. (well, not for the wedding at least. This is perfectly acceptable at an actual horse racing event.)

So I searched for a few of the alternatives pieces, and one the knot suggested tunes is the love theme from the ballet Romeo and Juliet by Tchaikovsky.  It is quite pretty, and it does have a very classic feel to it. And honestly, if I just heard it without any prior knowledge of what it was from I might even say sure.  But it's Romeo and Juliet.  And the thought of having Romeo and Juliet as a part of my wedding music seems...no.

Yes I know it's supposed to be one of the most romantic stories of all times, but really, not so much.  When you break it down as such, it's just 2 horny teenagers (though, "horny teen" is a bit redundant), who kill themselves over because ohmygod they can't be together.   So I remember reading the play in high school like you do in freshman english.  And while most of the girls are swooning over the romantics of it all, I thought: really? She killed herself over a boy she's known for what, a week? God, what a waste! 

No comments: