Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Woman of a Certain Age

coworker: Hey, how you doing?
me: Ehh. I'm actually not feeling all that great right now, I woke up a little nauseous.
coworker: Oh I'm sorry. You know, there's a flu bug that's going around. Did you get your flu shot at least?
me: Yeah, I did back in October. But thanks.
--beat--
me: And by the way, thank you for thinking flu and not pregnant when I said nauseous.

When you are a woman of "baby making age," quite often the first place most people jump to when you say nausea, is pregnant.  And heaven forbid if you say you have a craving for something!  I have cravings all the time, but it's usually because I'm lacking a certain nutrient, not because I'm in the family way. Though I admit, if I ever start to crave pickles, even I would assume!

No comments: