Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day!

I've had a few different kinds of Valentine's days.  There have been single ones and coupled ones, good ones, lame ones, no bad ones, but mainly mediocre valentines. The single ones were never really that bad (except in high school, but high school doesn't count) because I still got candy and treats from my family and sometimes friends.  In fact, single valentines were sometines much more enjoyable because there wasn't pressure to get anyone anything and a secret dread that my boyfriend would get me something lame. 
Turns out, what I really don't like about Valentines day, is all the hype.  I do like celebrating when I am with someone (and now I do since Mike's my perma-date), and the chocolates and flowers are a nice touch too if they accompany the valentine. (note: chocolate and flowers are a nice touch on any occasion)
Anyway, Mike and I started dating a week after Valentines day, so last year was our first valentines together.  We were trying to figure out the the other's expectations of the day and how we should celebrate.

me: I don't really need to make a big deal over valentines day honey.
mike: Cool. But what does that really mean?
me: I like the day acknowledged, but it doesn't have to be anything elaborate and over the top.
mike:  Oh, ok.
me: And by acknowledged, I mean flowers.
mike: --nodding-- Ok.
me: And by flowers I mean roses.
mike:--nodding again-- ok.

Valentine's day you know what showed up on our porch? Roses. Oh yeah, I knew I had a keeper!
Love you honey!
Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

No comments: