Tuesday, February 21, 2012

How to

I click on a video of the 5 financial mistakes couples make for their wedding, because, well, if it's wedding related, I click.
Yeah, the advice was totally worthless. (I'm in the red)
  1. Assuming you have to go traditional. me: but I want traditional. Instead of a full meal, throw a chic cocktail reception. But Mike and I both get super cranky if we don't eat on a regular schedule and/or a full meal. Do you have to have your wedding on a Saturday? YES. And to save on the cake, do cupcakes which cost $3-$4 a piece, rather than a traditional cake which can be $6 a slice. $6 a slice?! Our cake is $3-4 a slice, which is the same amount as that supposedly cheaper cupcake. Besides, how do you cut a cupcake?
  2. Poo-pooing electronic invites. Use electronic save-the dates and or invites. That's fine (and green), but not all of our guest are tech savvy. We're already forgoing the paper postcard return rsvp for an online one, which is greener and saves on postage.  Our save the dates the postage to mail them was more expensive than the save the date itself. And the actual invite doesn't have to be $9 made of silver leaf card stock with 14 pockets and information cards.      
  3. Overstocking/indulging on the booze. Guest don't need premium alcohols to have a good time. We're doing beer and wine, and if anyone has a problem with that and insists that they will only drink a certain drink/liquor, then they can sulk in the corner for all I care and they're the asshole for complaining.
  4. Splurging on party favors. Most guest don't remember/keep the favors in general.  Charitable donations are the way to go. I'm totally down with the charity thing, (we're trying to figure out a way to link one to our registry if someone would rather do that in lui of a gift) and I agree that a matchbook or lip with my wedding date is a waste of money.  But I think a little foodstuff favor is a nice gesture.  And besides, my parents  wanted a certain type of favor and are generously taking care of that for us anyway.
  5. Not asking for a discount. instead of saying i want x, y and z how much will that cost, say here's my budget, what can you do for me. Sigh. I did that already. Not to mention researched the crap out of everything to know what was the best option.
The article was exactly like the million other smart money articles that tell me to brown bag my lunch instead of buying it, bring coffee from home instead of buying it daily, to quit smoking to save on health costs and save the cigarette money, and to do my nails at home rather than pay a weekly manicurist.  Information that I already figured out myself, or never even needed in the first place (you don't have to quit smoking if you don't smoke!)
And even though I'm putting in a ton of work planning the wedding, I'm having a complete ball doing so.  I don't mind researching, pouring over websites and crunching the numbers in the slightest.  It just comes down to not being an idiot when it comes to money.

No comments: