Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Ham on Rye

For some of us, there comes a point in your life when you enter the sandwich generation. It's when you are taking care of aging parents and young children simultaneously.

I'm approaching that gateway.  I guess right now I'm more of an open-faced sandwich, because I don't have young kids to take care of yet.  And I'm also not physically taking care of of my dad since my parent's live 400 miles away.  So I'm just trying to tell my mom things from a distance.  So since I'm not really doing any actual care taking, I'm not really part of a sandwich at all. 

But I will be.  One day I'll have young kids, and fingers crossed, I'll have at least one parent left at that time too.  I don't know how much longer I have with my dad.  And not in that figurative we never know what time will bring us way.  With his disease, our time is now limited.  We may have 12 years, we may have 2.  And yes it breaks my heart to acknowledged that, to realize that you and those you love are not immortal. 

I don't want to be a part of the sandwich generation just yet.  But if being there means that I still have my family, then ok.  I'll be a sandwich.  I'll be a ham on rye, just hold the mustard.

No comments: