Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Waiting Game

So. After all the waiting, nerves, tears and frustration of just getting into grad school, I finally received my acceptance letter.  I applied for in-state residency, seeing as that's what I am, and I will have been here for 12 months by the time spring semester started.

But because I can't document that, I was classified as out of state.  And the tuition for that is roughly 3 times higher.  Even with loans, it's still a lot of money.  Dr soc's extra income is paying for my dream wedding.  That leaves my part time retail job, which is mainly being used to slowly pay off my credit card. (Spare the lectures y'all. I had no income for almost 9 months and a stupid high interest rate. And contrary to some people's beliefs, I'm not an idiot when it comes to money).  But the point is that there's not a lot of extra money floating around as it is, and especially not enough to cover out of state.

Fortunately, getting my mrs to a North Carolina resident in May should be enough to qualify me for in state tuition by the fall semester.  So I'm deferring until then. Which does bum me out, waiting even longer to get my career started. But, it is what it is. And honestly, with all the stress and freaking out about getting into school, I really didn't process or prepare for starting grad school. So in a way it's a good thing.

Still. These little stepping stones are annoying me.

No comments: