Tuesday, February 8, 2011

What Goes Around Comes Around

I have a sister. And, like typical sisters, we fought all the time as kids. (And teenagers. And college students-but the college part was mostly due to me needing to grow up). Dr soc only has a brother, and I guess they got along really well as kids or if they had something to fight about they competed through sports. Whereas my sister and pulled from our arsenals of mean and pestered each other. So imagine his chagrin when he found out not only did we fight as kids, we weren't always nice to each other either. But he really doesn't understand the whole sister dynamic in the first place nor the fight with your sibling thing.

Anyway, we have the 2 girl dogs who for brevity's sake I often refer to as "the girls." Which is what my sister and I were often referred to as as well. But when I am referencing one dog to the other, I use their names, or "your friend". For example: "Bailey, let Jules play with that!" Or: "Jules stop swatting your friend!" But as of late, I've been referring to them as (step) sisters, because in a way they are. We're (pet) mommy and daddy, so our pet children are siblings. (Dr soc didn't really call himself dad until I moved in, a habit I'm proud to take credit for.)

I've mentioned that the dogs like each other and looooove to play, yes? I've also mentioned that Bailey is 30 lbs heavier than Jules too. So when they get into play mode, they play rough and we have to separate them because of their size difference. So they don't "fight"like my sister and I did, but they want to play and pester each other all. the. time and it gets very tiring to yell at/scold them to stop all. the. time.

But occasionally, neither one of them aren't in spaz mode and just want to nap. But they never reach that point at the same time. Yesterday the girls were constantly swatting at each other and frolicking around and frankly just getting on my last nerve. We've just come back from a walk in the hopes to tire them out, and I need to start cooking dinner, so they need to leave the other alone. Eventually Bailey flings herself on the couch and flops into a ball, done with the play for the moment. And Jules, clearly not done, trots over to me at the stove and looks up at me with a "why she no want to play?" expression on her face. So I say to her:

me to Jules: are you going to be nice to your sister?
--beat--
me to me: this is exactly what my mom went through isn't it?

And indeed it is. When I asked her about it she said yep, even the prepping dinner part. What goes around comes around!

No comments: