Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Cliche

It's dr soc's and mine 1st valentines together! Awww. But I'm not going to gush on and on about how much I luuuuuv him and want to marry him and think he should listen to our gym and his office-mates about him giving me his last name*...... nope. Not this** valentines day. (February is a big month for us because his birthday is in 5 days and our anniversary is a week later. So we don't need to add the pressure of valentines day in there. I like to have the day/night acknowledged a little***, but I prefer to not add to the commercial pressure of doing anything over the top special.)

So instead, I will talk about the first valentine's day I had with my ex because it's amusing. Valentine's day in itself has become a huge cliche, with the grandeur expressions of love and adoration, the inundation of hearts and and heart shaped things, flowers imported from Brazil, red and pink (ok, that I do love) decorations, and the mountains of chocolate/heart shaped candy. (ok, that I can get behind as well). I'm not the biggest fan of cliche's. Really, I quite only like cliche's when I'm making fun of them. I understand why things are/become cliche and am not immune to using them myself. But still, I make fun of them.

Well anyway, the original story for this post is to amuse you with what my ex got me for our first valentines day. What we actually did on valentines day i don't remember, but what I do remember in vivid and mocking detail, was the gift he sent. First, I do give him props for sending me something to my office. But he sent something like this:

only with less (and lamer) flowers and chocolate (also lame)


It was (and frankly, in my opinion still is) the most cliche valentines gift ever. All that's missing is the heart shaped jewelry. Which at first I thought was awesome because of the cliche factor and he was running with the theme and participating in my mocking. But then later that night listening to him give himself his own ticker-tape parade of how awesome it was, I realized he thought it was the best valentines gift idea ever. So he was not mocking like I thought, seemed to have no concept humility, and I kept the mocking between me and my roommate. (and now you fine readers as well. You're welcome.)

But lucky for him, he set the bar low. So by the time he gave me a weird pink plant (that of course I killed somewhat on accident because I don't take care of plants) I didn't expect (or hope) to be impressed. And, lucky for me, I never was.

*yep. I just smile cheekily at his squirming because I am supportive like that.
** by next though, I hope to be in full bridezilla, I mean, BOT oriented, mode.
***by this I mean flowers. And by flowers I mean roses.

Oh, honey, I realize this may put a lot of unfair pressure on you. But we had the valentine discussion prior to this post, so you are aware of my opinions and mocking inclinations. And you are smart, a grown up and I love you, and will figure how to woo me just fine.

Happy Valentine's Day!

added 2-15-11: he sent me roses and they are beautiful! Love you honey!

No comments: