Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Vacay

Last week dr soc and I went on vacation together. I know, quite the step of coupledom wouldn't you say? Squee!

With anything in life, comparisons are inevitable. I compare my 2 universities, college to life experiences, life experiences with the great wide world, my cooking to every other thing I have ever made, boyfriends to friends, how I look in a bathing suit compared to others, Bailey to people, ect. So of course I compared this (beach) vacation with dr soc to the last (beach) vacation I took with a boyfriend.

And not to be all competitive, but the latter vacation, (with the ex and his entire family (privacy not so much)) was when my ex proposed. The initial reaction to that is "you probably want to forget that." But actually, I don't entirely because it was a very happy moment in my life. And while it's hard to not reflect on the overall relationship without a tinge of bitterness, that shouldn't diminish the happiness and jubilation I felt that moment.

But this vacation w/dr soc was way better in general. For starters, because I'm head over heals for him and totally biased in that I think whatever he does is better then any of my ex's. But also, we were on a great beach, just us two and on a real vacation with no external obligations (well, I didn't have those, someone had to prepare his syllabi), so that there was no (little) pressure and we could just enjoy each others' company. (Though I'm pretty sure I annoyed him with my constant chatter the drive home. And even when I figured that out I still couldn't stop talking. Sorry honey, I warned you though).

So even though that previous vacation I left with a sparkly * on my hand, and the vacation I took with dr soc I left with only a great tan, some extra pounds and a picture on facebook, it was way better and I'm happier about everything in general. Yay! (except for the whole he moved far far away 2 days later, but whatev)

*which was a size too big because he guessed my fingers were way fatter then they actually are. And he guessed that size because there is no other way to find ring size other than to bring in a ring I currently wear and compare, but since I don't wear rings, he was at a complete and utter loss and took a blind guess since he is incapable of thinking creatively or searching the interwebs for an alternate way. Because they don't have sites for that kind of stuff or anything.

No comments: