Sunday, August 29, 2010

Secret Agent

Due to the f*ckin horse games (dr soc's term, not mine btw), Lexington is doing a crazy mad rush to clean for company. This involves demolishing decrepit buildings (then never building the 130 story hotel/condo monstrosity because the mystery sole donor died and didn't leave a will. The whole Center Pointe thing didn't have "sketch" written all over it at all.), ripping up sidewalks to bury power lines, and bottle-necking all of downtown traffic to re-blacktop most of it. (In my opinion, blacktop/asphalt laying is one of the worst smells in the world. The mere thought of it makes my stomach churn and the instant the smell burns my nose I have to fight the urge to throw up bile. Ugh!)

Needless to say, getting to and from work for me is nothing short of a clusterfuck. The other day I was leaving a busy part of town for another busy part of town, so I gave myself plenty of extra time to get there. However, since there was only one lane of traffic for 4 lanes, it was still gridlock. After calling the desk to let them know I would be late even though I was within spitting distance but stuck in the mess they could see our windows, I realized where I was and what time of day it was too.

I was right outside the Annex Garage (on MLK) and it was just after 5. So not only is parking free there now, the gate's up and no one's there to collect tickets at the exit. And what's better, is that this garage exits onto Water Street, which is the street that I turn onto to get into the garage I park in for work! Realizing this before I pass the turn into the Annex garage, I quickly flip my turn signal on, and turn left before the light changes and traffic stars coming directly head on. I twist through the garage, exit exactly where I knew I would, and a hop, skip, jump and 2 turns later, pop into a parking space in the library garage. I made it to work only 15 minutes late instead of a half hour, so it was a win.

And I totally admit, I felt incredibly crafty and slightly secret agenty after that moment.

No comments: