Sunday, October 11, 2009

Stabby Class

I decided to withdraw from my stabby class this semester. Otherwise know as calculus.
Yes, the same calculus class that I took a pretest to get into, had to get an override, then every section I could work in my schedule was wait listed. I dropped it for a few reasons:

I'm not doing great in, and I don't deal with not doing great in a math class. Its not that I don't understand the material, because I do eventually, it just clicks and it's second nature almost. But it's taking longer for that click to come and grasp the material like I have for other math classes in the past. The lecture part I'm ok with, I sit in class for an hour, take notes and then try to do homework. I'm going to the Mathskeller and the grad students there are helpful.

But the recitation was killing me. I HATE 99% of my section. My ta has the accent, so it's hard to understand her. And she also has no control over the class. (if she is a spy/villain, she's a terrible one. Because shouldn't a villain strike the fear of god in you?) So everyone talks over her. They have their own conversations, blatantly ignore her, and openly dismiss her. There's absolutely no respect in that class. It's a bunch of 18 year olds who took calculus in high school so they clearly don't need to pay attention. Hey, I took calc in high school too. Ten years ago, but I took it. And got an A too. But so what? That doesn't matter, and it's still no reason for anyone to be so rude.

But by dropping this class, I can really focus more on my science classes. I know a W won't look great on my transcript, but I tested into calc, I can take it later and get a much better grade. And improve my other grades now. There's no guarantee that I won't get another stabby class next time, but it's a risk I'm willing to take. My mental sanity alone is worth it.

Because I walked out of that class Thursday and I said "I need a vodka drink. At 9:30 am." I could not cope with that class. I left every time thinking, "stabby isn't a 'legal' defense." And since we're all legal "adults" (snort) I would end up in jail for stabbing my pen through someone's hand (or trachea). And I'm too pretty for jail.

No comments: