Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A Vote For Marriage. FOR EVERYONE

So I promise to recap the derby and bridal shower here soon enough and tell everyone that it was a perfect weekend and I'm so happy that I have friends and family who love me to and to do that for me.

But today is election day in North Carolina and there is a more pressing mater Amendment 1, which would define marriage as one man and one woman and it will be the only recognized legal union.
Vote AGAINST it.

Not just because it blatantly makes discrimination ok.
Not just because I want to see my friends Tiffany and Jill get married if only to see my friend Tiffany in a big poofy dress.
Because this constitutional ban is not designed to protect families, seniors and all women at all. It actually harms them.
And who is to define "family" in the first place?  How is a kid raised by 2 committed adults not a family?  If the goal is to have all children raised in a 2 parent household, that makes single parents not a family.  What about the guy who gets 3 women pregnant around the same time?  He can't marry all 3, so which one does he choose to define as his family? (probably the one that doesn't kick his slutty ass to the curb).
I could continue about the harms the amendment would do, but I'll let the other websites who say it better than me do so.
But laws like this make me indignant, and frankly, ashamed that they are even brought to the table in the first place.  And while my blog and soap box may be little in the grand scheme of life, it needs to be said that this is NOT OK.

No comments: