Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Best Weekend

So, as promised yesterday, a recap of my awesome bachelorette and shower weekend!
Well, like I said, first, they were both awesome.  Not only did I have a great time I was with my bestest friends and family who traveled many many miles to throw these parties for me and share in the fun times with me.
pictured: 5 states gathered for a cinco de mayo lunch
not pictured: why Jeanne and LB should not be left unsupervised
Then, after we celebrated cinco de mayo properly, it was on to the main event: The Kentucky Derby!
The infield. Pre-drunk and disorderly. Though the mint juleps certainly expedited that process 
About an hour or two after we got into the infield I got a little over heated what with being in the direct sun and the only liquids in my system was a combination of tequila and bourbon.  But, lucky for me, I roll with my own personal EMS team, (Priya's a dr. A real one) and I was able to cool down.  Then we bought a program, placed our bets and eventually staked out a spot where we possibly could see the the race.

And we did!  I actually got to see 2, maybe even 3 seconds of the actual derby run by!  It was just a blur of horses and quick streaks of color from the jockey's silks, and the noise of the pounding hooves was almost drowned out by the throngs of screaming people (myself included), but it was so exhilarating!  Of course we had no idea who won and after waiting in the betting line for a while turns out 2 of us in my posse won money.  I didn't win anything, but that's ok because I fully expected that. I can't pick a horse for the life of me and I accept that. 

Of course, getting out of the infields is a long and crowded process, but you just take your time, keep up with the crowd and make your way back to the car without incident.  Though Jeanne has a good point that most people probably block out the exiting or else they wouldn't come back year after year.  The Derby and the infield are definitely an experience and I'm thrilled I got to go, but I think I'll stick to derby parties at people's houses from now on.   

The next day was my bridal shower!  Of all the pre-wedding parties the knot tells you to have, the shower was the only one that I absolutely wanted.     
Pictured once again: my favorite ladies:
My favorite ladies and best. friends. EVER.
I also just realized this picture is the flipped image of the one above it
The shower went off with out a hitch, my mom (thank god) didn't freak out once (pre-shower she was putting herself through the ringer worrying about the number of possible guests) and I wasn't allowed to help at all. Mike showed up the beginning of the shower to drop off his mom and he met a few people. Then he, his dad and my dad took off for a few hours to do guy things, while I drank champagne and opened presents.  The food was yummy, the cake was wonderful, and everyone had a great time.  I think my future mother in law was a bit surprised at what the names of her future grandchildren are going to be, but I was quick to tell her that it was her son who picked out Sharktopus and Dinocroc.

Eventually everyone had to get on the road or to the airport with the many many miles traveled to get to Lexington, including Mike and I.  With all the excitement of the past few days, we decided to stop in Asheville that night instead of driving into the early morning.  I wrote my thank you notes almost as soon as I got home (though, I just got them in the mailbox today), and then realized I would be married in less than 3 weeks and may have freaked out a tiny bit.

It was a wonderful weekend full of funtimes, celebration and happiness, and I enjoyed every second of it. I'm so lucky to have all these people in my life. Thank you so much ladies!

No comments: