Monday, May 14, 2012

adults only

To all the couples that do want an adults only reception, know that it's ok to want that.*  It is your day and you can celebrate how you want to. But be forewarned that everyone will have an opinion one way or another and you will probably ruffle some feathers in doing so. It's a common thread on the knot: My cousin/friend/mom's friend's daughter's old college roommate** wants to bring their kid and we're doing an adults only reception. My cousin/friend/mom's friend's daughter's old college roommate is super pissed we're not inviting jr and threatening to not come/is going to bring them anyway no matter what I want. Help!

Right now I side with the bride's side and tell her to stick to her guns. Don't kowtow to those people who become offended you didn't invite their precious children. And I know I don't have kids yet so I can't say how I'll feel about leaving them at home to these events in the future.***

But I have a little tidbit for all the brides who want an adults only reception.  You don't want kids there? Invite them.
That's how it seemed to work for us at least. Mike and I invited about 20 kids (all under the age of 14), and a grand total of 5 of them are coming.  Of course, we didn't intended to have an adults only reception anyway and our invitations were genuine.  It's just most of the guests with kids:
A) Can't make it anyway. And/or
B) Have opted to leave the kids at home for their own adult night.

Which was a choice we were fine with either way.  And I'm not saying what we did was a right or wrong way to do things, it was the best way for us.  I just think it's a little funny.

*Just don't be an asshole about it. Getting married is not a excuse to make ridiculous demands and then pitching a hissy fit because you didn't get every single ridiculous thing you demanded.
**honestly, if you're extending the invite this far out, you may as well invite kids.
***though if I do become one of those moms that thinks her children should be included in everything, do me a favor and please refer me back to this post.

No comments: