Tuesday, April 13, 2010

What am I? Chopped Liver?

Being a bartender ups your hot points. But when I bartended at a restaurant in town, I wasn't in the running of viable crushable girls. It was common knowledge that I had an out of town boyfriend (though many coworkers thought he didn't exist because he never came to visit me. I-75 only ran one way didn't you know?), so I was more buddy-buddy then evil-woman-threat at this job. Which was a nice change of pace from my last bartending job (I was a pretty girl behind the bar, clearly I was going to steal everyone's husband/boyfriend). Well anyway, our black polyester shirts and non-slip shoes weren't the most becoming outfits. And I'm off the market anyway, so why did it matter if anyway? I barely gave it a thought. Until my sister came to visit me at work.

I was in the back getting something when she first showed up, and my manager happened to see her first at the bar through the crowds of people. Being a sucker for pretty girls, he approached her (of course) and asked if he could do anything for her. And when she said she was waiting for someone, he knew immediately that it was me, and this was my sister. And being the gossip that he is, soon the whole restaurant staff knew my sister was visiting, and she's HOT!

Suddenly, every male coworker had a drink order or needed something from the bar. Some even just came to say "hi." Uh huh. I got more hellos in a half hour then I had the entire month we had all been working there it seemed. Yes my sister is hot. She knows this. She looks great because we were blessed with the same type metabolism, but she also has a ridiculous work ethic and takes a lot of pride in her athletic capabilities. After she left to do some Christmas shopping, the adoration really started flowing. And I was jealous. Very, very jealous.

I agreed with the first "hey Sarah, hot sister." I agreed with the 2nd. And 3rd, and 4th. But by the 5th in a 10 minute time frame, I was annoyed. So when the manager told me the 800th same thing, I reacted like a very jealous female (much like my former coworkers actually) and snapped out: she's underage!

Which promptly shut everyone up.

It wasn't true, and they called my bluff when they realized I had been serving her at the bar. I sighed and admitted she's 21. "But she's almost engaged, lives in DC and off limits. Besides, she's out of your league anyway." And with that I stalked off and finished my shift.

Sigh, I know I was a coworker which maybe made me even more off limits than my sister, but I guess how many people stopped by to say hi after she left? Yeah. Thanks guys. Lot of good my bartender hot points got me.

No comments: