Thursday, April 29, 2010

Stage Fright

As talkative as I am and as sociable as I am, it's a huge surprise that I hate public speaking. I'm downright terrified of it. My hands shake, my heart pounds, and I can project my voice just fine, but it's all shaky too. This is also why I'll probably never do karaoke either, I get stage fright.

I did drama my senior year of high school and I did not have this problem. I could perform well enough, memorize my lines (for the most part) and have a good time while doing so. But lets admit that theater is just a grown up way of playing pretend.

Because when I get to daap and try the interior design thing, that kind of presentation is a different zone. It's your work pined up on that wall, and it's you trying to defend it. Yes it's a critique and I understand it's not a ticker tape parade. But it's essentially a verbal smack down if you will. At least it was for me, I don't ever remember having a good crit. I had plenty of bad ones, and I guess the rest of them were ok enough that I don't remember them being bad.

So now, I'm terrified of public speaking. I don't even like reading aloud in class at times. And I have 2 end of the semester presentations this semester. I did the first one this morning. I bet you're wondering how it went. I tried to keep my hands on the desk so the shaking wouldn't be obvious, but that's hard for me to continue since I talk with my hands. My voice shook from start to finish. And because I was nervous I talked even faster then I normally do. So my 8-10 minute presentation was done in 6 minutes. Six minutes of shaky rapid fire god knows what coming from my mouth.

Yeah. 'Eff you daap.

No comments: