Monday, April 5, 2010

Knocked Up

When I got engaged, a lot people asked if I was pregnant. I'm serious. Well, let me rephrase that. None of my friends asked that, but most of my ex's did. Our coworkers asked (we worked together at the time) as well, but I group those people as "his people."

But yeah, they (coworkers) were all excited and asked to see the ring, but then they pulled my ex aside and asked him in hushed tones, so... is Sarah pregnant? Because 1st, that's their business. And 2nd, the only reason anyone gets married nowadays is because of a pregnancy, clearly.

And that's bull shit by the way, what's the stat/percentage of single motherhood? High. Harley anyone does the antiquated honorable thing and gets married before the baby is born. (I do know of some couples that do marry after the child is born, therefore unbastadizing the child. Better late then never I suppose?)

Everyone figured out I wasn't pregnant because I was still a skinny bitch and drinking like a fish. But since we were having a somewhat long engagement, (it would have been close to 18 months) there was still plenty of time for me to get pregnant. I mean what? How does wearing a ring suddenly make me an idiot about my birth control? But it wasn't that I wasn't pregnant and nowhere near on the verge of announcing it that threw them the most off. Nope, what threw people for a loop was that I wanted to (gasp!) be married for a few years (years!) before starting a family. WHAT?? I was planning on kids? In a few years? And they were going to be legitimate? What the hell kind of person was I?

An old fashioned one. No wonder I called these people "those people."

No comments: