Thursday, March 1, 2012

And Guest

Our invites are in the mail and on their happy way, so now I'm just excitedly waiting for the rsvp's to come pouring in.  (yes I know, if I keep watching the rsvps, it will never boil).

To be able to invite all of our friends to the wedding, we decided to eschew the blanket "and guest."  Everyone invited will know at least a few people there besides us, and of course those with a significant other will be invited with the SO.  Old school etiquette says this is unacceptable, but new school says this is ok. While there are some etiquette rules that I totally said "blow me" to, like, hand addressing the invites, or spending a boatload of money on a professional calligrapher as an almost* acceptable substitute for hand written,** there were other things I do care about. Like who to address the invite to.  

Not to say that the generic "and guest" is a bad thing.  I've been and brought the and guest before, which is fine.  It is not fine however, to be addresses as an "and guest" when you are engaged to the person who is actually invited.  I was actually super pissed when I saw that invite.***.  And then, to add insult to injury, not only did they not bother to find out my name, neither mine or my ex's name was even on the seating chart****.

*Martha Stewart can be such a bitch!
** Calligraphy is acceptable but printing on a computer is tacky.  And using any sort of label in general is a cardinal sin.*
***though I shouldn't have been all that surprised really. This couple had a Friday night wedding and scheduled a smoke break in between the ceremony and the reception.
****That however, was mainly my ex's fault, seeing as he thought rsvp* meant saying "dude, you know I'll be there right?" a day before the wedding.
*We went the whole hog blasphemous route and not only printed computer, we printed from a computer onto a label.
* NO. That is definitely NOT an rsvp. 

No comments: