Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Mommy Issues

You know who should listen to me but doesn't? My mom.
You know who doesn't listen to me and then is surprised when bad things happen? My mom.

On Bailey's walks, I now bring a bag of treats with me to use as a distraction and reward system. We've been having some good and uneventful walks together and I'm enjoying my time with my dog. But the walks take a little more time and coordination now. And because of this, I have stated that my dad is not allowed to walk Bailey at all since he cannot control her. Even though she has a new harness that deters lunging, I don't trust his coordination, her behavior and the two of those things together. He can accompany me or my mom on walks, but he is never to walk her by himself, and as far as holding her leash, that is no as well.

My mom lets him hold the leash. Because it requires less coordination than holding and dispensing the treats. But he still can't control her, and that is the problem. And this was proved when Bailey lunged in greeting another neighbor. While Bailey didn't get anywhere close to the neighbor and it wasn't the hateful one who's out to get my dog, it's a risk we can't have.

My mom called him and apologized. Fortunately, this neighbor wasn't bothered and has told us not to worry about it, so big sigh of relief. But OH. MY. GOD. The woman will not listen to me! I have told her to use the gentle leader when they take her out. Bailey hasn't worn that thing in months. I have told her to not let dad walk Bailey, and then she's surprised when Bailey jumps. There was the running issue a few weeks ago. I had to be the grown up in dealing with my dad's diagnosis. And she talks over me when she's too busy killing a joke instead of listening to whatever I have to say.

And while things with the dog are at an uneasy standstill for the moment, I'm just having a flash of the future and her not listening to me and dr soc when it comes to our kids. I'm more than ok with the kids having fun at grandma's house, cause that what you do there. But what if she ignores something important? And what happens if this frustration keeps building? Could it get to the point where we reach an impasse? I don't want it to have that kind of relationship with my mom.

It has to be hard for a parent to view and listen to their children as adults. But if she could just listen to me on the important stuff, maybe I wouldn't feel so strained.

No comments: