Monday, November 29, 2010

Initials vs hypen

Conversation between me and dr soc in reference to our last names.

me:
well I think the hyphen is bullsh*t. Though, since you don't think it is, if I hyphenated my name, would you hyphen yours?

dr soc:
...sure I guess


me: Though how does that work? For me, my last name would still be first of the two and I would still be in the T's. I would not move up in the alphabet at all and that is so not the plan! Where as if you would just tack on my last name and still be a B and whatever, no impact. Course, nothing says that since I was changing my name regardless that I couldn't put your name first.
dr soc:
true.
me:
But, good thing for all of us I'm going the traditional route and just taking your name. * But really, I'm just planning on adding your last name as a 4th name but I'll go by my first, maiden and your last name. **
dr soc: Sure. So your initials would be STB. Oh! Hehehe! (he flat out giggled!) That's really close to STD.
me: Uh huh. I realized that, which is why I can't ever marry a D even though it is top half of the alphabet. Good thing you're a B, because that's even better and I avoid some unfortunate initials. Though fully they'll be SATB, and that's really close to stab, which makes me happy. ***
dr soc: sure. snicker.

*at this point I distinctly remember thinking I better shut up because I was probably scaring him.
**obviously, I did not.
***really obviously did not.

No comments: