Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Who You Going to Tell?

You can correctly assume that if you tell me something I will tell dr soc. Just as I assume that if I tell my girlfriends something they will tell their husbands. Oh yes, we know intimate details of each other's lives. It's just the way it works. You tell me, I tell dr soc, sometimes I tell my mom and then my girlfriends. That is unless my girlfriends are the one that shared the news with me then the rest of us know and we can skip that step. (Though I think it should be noted that I very rarely tell my boyfriends everything, even the ex. Some stuff, like dirty family business, needs to stay in the family). Though the reciprocal isn't the same, if you tell the guy something. Boys are better vaults it seems. Or maybe they just don't talk?

But I also know when it's not my news to share. Like when dr soc accepted the Charlotte job and I ended up talking to his dad on the phone. His dad didn't know all of the details and I knew a little more than him, but I let dr soc talk to him since it was his news to share and get excited about.

But heaven help you if you give me happy or gossipy news, I'll want to tell so bad, even if I don't actually do so. Like my friends' baby shower and I knew her grandma was surprising her by flying in for it. I did not tell my friend her grandma was coming, but I did tell her I knew what the surprise was and that she would love it. Or my parents 10th wedding anniversary for example. My dad showed me and my sister the string of pearls (dibs! I call dibs!) he had gotten for my mom and told us "don't tell." And I didn't! I really didn't! I just kept dropping hints to my mom saying stuff like "you're gonna like it," or "it's really pretty" and "you wear it here" as I patted my collarbone (how she figured it out I'll never know). My sister on the other hand just blurted out "it's a necklace!" Dad didn't show us a present for a long time after that. But my sister an I were 5 and 2 1/2, so really, that was just a silly move on my dad's part.

No comments: