Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I have the bad dog. For real this time

When I got home from class yesterday, there was something hanging on the door. It was a citation from animal control due to Bailey. When my father was walking her in the afternoon, she jumped on someone and mouthed someone's arm. The citation didn't say she bit, but still, not good at all. Whoever this neighbor was, they called animal control and hence the citation. Which I don't blame them for, I would do the same if it wasn't my dog. Essentially, the citation said even though the dog was leashed, we didn't have control over her.

The problem, amongst other things such as having an aggressive dog, (and paying a fee), is that my dad can't and never has had control over Bailey. With his coordination and reaction time worse then ever, he'll never be able to do so now. So now, I can't let him take her for walks, which was about the only exercise my dad has been getting. Not to mention a huge help for me in between trying to graduate and working. We've already limited his driving and I don't want to keep taking away things from him. But this... I don't blame him entirely though, she's strong and stubborn. Even though I'm more two and a half times her weight, she can still pull me down the street if I'm not paying attention. But this can not happen again.

I don't want to hear I told you so. I know my dog is bad. I know there are bad habits I let slide and now have to take care of. I know there are no problem dogs, only problem owners. I have to be the one to take responsibility for her actions. I have to train her and my family so we're all on the same page. I'll just add that to the list of crap that was on the back burner to now high on the front burner.

But, well, shit. This just blows.

No comments: