Thursday, September 23, 2010

There's a Reason You Failed 7th Grade

This was a conversation I had with a tween at work once.

tween: I hate chinese people
me: I'm half chinese.
tween: oh.
me: Hows that foot taste?
tw: I don't eat feet! Well, I don't hate all chineese people. Just this one chinese girl in my class. ::pause:: She failed me.
me: Wait, so you don't like your teacher?
tw: Yeah. She said I didn't have the accent.
me: For what class?
tw: Chinese.
me: That's because the entire language is the inflection. An accent can one word make 3 completely different words. You have to get the accent to speak the language.
tw: Yeah, well, she didn't have to fail me...
me: did you even try?
tw: uuuuh
me: So, you hate all Chinese people because your chinese teacher who teaches her language failed you for not doing your work?
tw: umm, yeah?
me: Ai-ya!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Reminds me of a conversation I had a long time with a fellow sea cadet.

SC: If you're Chinese, how come your skin isn't yellow?
me: Well, it's just like you're white, but your skin isn't actually white.
SC: That's because I'm part Mexican.

Spazzella said...

Ha! And quite sad at the same time.