Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Cookie Monster

I've never had to be one that watches my weight. I pretty much keep track of it just to know it. Yes, yes, I am aware of the evil glares I am receiving. Well, this Christmas, it seems to be that I am on a no cookie diet. Not because I'm worried about the extra pounds or in order to fit in my new years eve dress. I'm on a no cookie diet because my dad eats every single thing in the house, such as (especially) snack foods, entire bags of candy and every single Christmas cookie so that I don't get to have any.

This is mainly due to his dementia. He becomes fixated on something, like reading a book, fox news or anything food, and he has to finish it somehow. So he'll read 100 pages in a book, watch fox news for hours* or finish whatever food is out. Some examples would be all 4 servings of a family size ravioli for lunch one day. Six single serving applesauces in an hour. A bag of M&M's in a day. Three-quarters of a a family size bag of animal crackers in 4 hours. A half gallon of iced tea every afternoon. Eight carrot sticks in addition to soup and sandwich at lunch. A cookie sheet of rocky-road bark (homemade candy). Sixteen candy cane cookies in 4 hours. And today every last gingerbread cookie I had made in 20 minutes after lunch.

I made over 6 dozen gingerbread cookies. We (mom and I) froze at least 4 dozen of them to save them for ourselves and as possible oh-sh*t-you-got-me-something-so-here's-something-homemade-for-you-gifts (but mostly for eating ourselves). I took the box out today to give some to dr soc for his Christmas in Charlotte (he was here for graduation-squee!), and left the box out to thaw so I could have some later tonight. I didn't hide the cookies, dad took them when I wasn't in the kitchen, and now I have no gingerbread.

I like to bake and I don't mind making Christmas cookies. But I make them so me and other people can have them too god dammit!

*I do not approve of the fox news thing whatsoever and raise quite the fuss when it's on. However, we have taken away his driving* and nag him about everything else, we figure we can let him have his fake news source.
* He drove yesterday and I had a panic attack when I discovered he was gone. We have since hidden his car keys and refuse to let him know where they are.

No comments: