Saturday, December 3, 2011

Puppies

mike: Brian was trying to distract Kelli from the baby talk for a while there by promising her a puppy. 
me: Ah yes! The distract the wife from the baby talk with a puppy plan.  Foolproof! Which, by the way, that won't work on me.
mike: No? No distracting you getting puppy talk?
me: Nope.
mike: You don't want a puppy?
--I shoot him a knowing look--
me: Hell no. You know Bailey was enough puppy for a lifetime.  Plus I'm way too entrenched in that baby wagon*. No matter when you ask me, puppy or baby, I'm always going to choose the baby.

--fast forward a few days later as we're discussing Christmas presents--

me: You know, when I was in early college, way before I ever actually had a dog and Bailey, I really wanted my future husband to get me a puppy for our first married Christmas.
mike: Really?
me: Yeah, I didn't know any better. Now, you know better than to get me puppy.
mike: Don't worry, I won't get one. The kids however...
me: The kids better not get me a puppy!
mike: You know eventually they're going to want one...
me: No! The kids won't want a puppy!
--mike snorts--
me: sh*t. We're going to get a puppy.

*not anytime soon though. Not because I'm not ready. It's because my wedding dress has no seam allowances whatsoever for a baby bump.

No comments: