Friday, December 2, 2011

Lurk

I admit that I lurk on some of the knot message boards.
I'm looking for a seamstress in Charlotte and a florist in Lexington, so I've been using the local message boards for vendor reviews and names.  And then of course I go play in the tulle vortex and lurk on the rest of them reading about rsvp drama, and cake nightmares.  Good times yo. I do not, however, post on the message boards.  Partly because I don't care enough, but also because I don't know the lingo.

But there was one time I was tempted to comment.  A bride not familiar with Lexington asked if anyone knew anything about a particular venue.  Oh I knew something alright. I know that until a few years ago, it used to be a funeral home.

It was completely remodeled, they put on an addition and from the pictures on the website it really is very pretty.  But because I went to middle school next door to it, I know what it used to be. For a building located in the historic district, there seems to be bit of history about the facility missing from their site. (Do you blame them though?)  Knowing what I knew about the previous use, I couldn't possibly get over the icky factor of it and didn't even bring it to our table of possible venues, even though it fell within our budget.  Mike was curious* about why I wasn't researching this place more since I had scoured the internets for details for everything else and asked why. So I told him exactly why and that it was bad juju.  He needed no other explanation, agreed with me promptly, and we didn't discuss the venue further.

But just because we didn't want this venue for that particular reason, doesn't mean that I have to ruin it for someone else with my knowledge.**  So I didn't comment.  First because I'm not a commenter on these things, only a lurker.  And second, I'm not an asshole.

*this was in the very early days of wedding planning and he was genuinely curious. And didn't know any better.  He asked a question and was completely overwhelmed when I launched into a 30 minute detailed explanation of god knows what wedding related.  He's since learned that when it comes to the tulle vortex, he is just let me swirl around in there and only pull me out if I start causing some damage.

**I think she ended up booking it.  I lurked back on the message boards and she had posted an update.  Fun times for her!

No comments: