Saturday, June 15, 2013

Guess Who

My husband and I have names picked out for our future children. Because, well, of course we do. And while we know this is very much putting the cart before the horse, it's still fun to toss out names and speculate every now and again. After all, who knows what names we'll like when the time comes. And for all we know, we'll have a name picked out, meet the little one and they just won't be that name.

But anyway, one of the current trends in baby naming is a name from 2 generations back, so grandma and grandpa's names. And since we like the trendy* names, we have quite the selection from our grandparents: Emil, Otho, and Edna. But if none of those work, I can always look on the family tree, my grandmother's siblings were: Ray, Gladys, Ola, Elbe, Helen and Elaine.

But I do like the idea of naming my family after family. So while Edna Ola may not be the right combination for Sharktopus's legal name, the name Amy is on my list of possibilities. Mike's pretty neutral on the name, he's not all about it, but he's not against it either. It's just a maybe, one day, something to consider possibility. Which is fine, because really, who knows? But at least he knows who the name belongs to and that it isn't out of left field.

Some other people, not so much. Because when I tossed out the family name Amy to my ex his reaction was "who's Amy?"

Yep. He didn't remember my sister's name even when we were engaged. Then again, my family was always an afterthought or a figment of my imagination to him, so not remembering my sister's name was pretty par for the course.  Dodged a bullet there.

*Both the names we like are in the top 10. We're so trendy.

No comments: