Thursday, September 1, 2011

Mom car

Mike and I have been talking about replacing his car in a few years. I have this tendency to plan ahead as much as I can (see: wedding planning), even though I've only had Cam* for less than a year, since we were talking about Mike's car, I started thinking about what kind of mom** car I want.

I decided I want a Subaru Outback because my friend had one, and they are very safe cars.  My mom car first and foremost, has to be safe (which is why my friend got that car in the first place).  But a new Subaru is on the more expensive side and probably out of our price range that we, ok, Mike, wants to spend.  So he keeps trying to tell me that the Subaru won't happen, and I conveniently keep "forgetting" that.  Then it turns out, that Mike's old boss from hell just got a new Subaru.  And because I do listen, once we learned that info I immediately crossed that brand off the list.

kathy: E got a Subaru.
mike: Oh, crap...
me: Honey, I don't want a Subaru anymore.
mike: Phew
me: Oh! We should get a Lexus instead!
mike: WHAT?

I was totally kidding!  I don't actually want a Lexus. Now I want a Volvo.  Because I still need a new mom car.  Though apparently, fancy safe German engineering is "expensive" as well.  It being a safe import and all.

But here's a great twist to the car story: Mike's dad just got a sweet new car and he's giving Mike his old one, which is only a few years old.  So now we don't have to replace Mike's car in a few years, which is a huge relief.  Not to mention so generous on my future father-in-law's part (and MiL too)! 

So now that we don't have to save for Mike's new car, now we can save for my Volvo!

*Cam is what I named my Corolla. It's short for Camry, since that is what I kept thinking I drove for the first month of having the car.   It is not short for Cameron, like the rookie quarterback of the my Carolina Panthers. (my poor, poor Panthers). 
**Have I mentioned that I know Mike will be such a good daddy? 'Cause he totally will be.***
***Think my sucking up will help me get a Volvo?  Maybe?  

No comments: